Friday, April 20, 2012

Commence

(kə- mens’ ) v.t. & v.i.  A fitting start for this endeavor.  
I was never very good with vocabulary.  I hated dictionaries.  They seemed backwards to me.  How could I find a word alphabetically I didn’t even know yet?  I preferred to ask my parents what a word meant, and when the definition didn’t stick, ask again.  
When I was learning about words for the first time, they made no sense.  They were just letters on a page.  They meant nothing to me until lived them.  People could read a dictionary to me for hours and nothing would be absorbed until I had an image or an experience to attach to it.  
I remember the first word I learned how to spell was ‘apple’, because I spent the entire day bragging about it after kindergarten got out.  When I was learning,  I can remember that I was thinking about was the juice I drank every day before school, the skin I asked my father to cut off because it tasted like paper, and the sayings everyone repeated to death about their effect on the Medical Industry.  That was what an a-p-p-l-e was.
Words are just letters on a page until you have a memory to place with them; just sounds linked together until they are said with purpose.
Word by word, until the entire dictionary, 650+ pages of 20 or so words each, has been translated.
A dictionary defined by stories and comedy and experiences.  Things to remember.
A noble venture.
The first step.

Commence (kə- mens’ ) v.t. & v.i. Looking down a long road, taking a deep breath, and walking forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment